ICAO English Level
ICAO ENGLISH TEST
- designed to assess a candidate’s spoken and listening ability according to the ICAO Descriptors.
- an English communication test – it is not a test of operational knowledge.
- a test of plain English in an aviation context – it is not a test of aviation phraseology.
- conducted in the form of a one-to-one interview between the candidate and the examiner.
- a test comprising 3 sections and lasting approximately 20 minutes.
Throughout the three sections of the test the examiner will be assessing the candidate’s ability based on the following six ICAO language proficiency requirements: Pronunciation, Structure, Vocabulary, Fluency, Comprehension and Interactions. The candidate will be awarded a score of 1 – 6 for each of the six skills.
SECTION ONE INTRODUCTION (5-6 MINUTES)
The candidate is asked a series of questions on common, concrete and work-related topics relating to his/her aviation background.
SECTION TWO INTERACTIVE COMPREHENSION (8-12 MINUTES)
Part 2A: Candidates listen to aviation-specific recordings of non-routine and emergency situations. Candidates are required to explain what they understand about the situation.
Parts 2B & 2C: Candidates listen to a series of problem-solving role-play scenarios. In Part 2B, the candidate is required to ask questions to the speaker. In Part 2C, the candidate is required to give advice to the speaker.
SECTION THREE DESCRIPTION AND DISCUSSION (8 MINUTES)
Candidates are presented with a series of aviation-related images and are asked to describe and compare what they see. The examiner will then ask further questions related to the images.