ICAO ENGLISH TEST
- designed to assess a candidate’s spoken and listening ability according to the ICAO Descriptors.
- an English communication test – it is not a test of operational knowledge.
- a test of plain English in an aviation context – it is not a test of aviation phraseology.
- conducted in the form of a one-to-one interview between the candidate and the examiner.
- a test comprising 3 sections and lasting approximately 20 minutes.
Throughout the three sections of the test the examiner will be assessing the candidate’s ability based on the following six ICAO language proficiency requirements: Pronunciation, Structure, Vocabulary, Fluency, Comprehension and Interactions. The candidate will be awarded a score of 1 – 6 for each of the six skills.
SECTION ONE INTRODUCTION (5-6 MINUTES)
The candidate is asked a series of questions on common, concrete and work-related topics relating to his/her aviation background.
SECTION TWO INTERACTIVE COMPREHENSION (8-12 MINUTES)
SECTION THREE DESCRIPTION AND DISCUSSION (8 MINUTES)
Candidates are presented with a series of aviation-related images and are asked to describe and compare what they see. The examiner will then ask further questions related to the images.